Friday, June 11, 2010

3:51, #545: I'm All In

The American language is an interesting thing when you get around to thinking about it. Back in the day (whichever decade you happen to pick, mine is around the 60s and 70s in this case) "I'm all in" meant "I've worked my butt off and I can't possibly lift my arms even to drink that beer that looks so good!!"
Just the other week a buddy of mine used the phrase in connection to Texas Hold 'Em Poker to illustrate Christian behavior in a way which means "I'm totally committed" and when I commented I had never played Texas Hold 'Em but in Five Card Stud I've been given a Royal Flush by the King of Kings, he kindly wrote back and told me that I 'was all in' with my walk...kinda encouraging, actually.
Well, I don't write this to brag. I'm just listening to Alabama's song, "I'm In A Hurry" which states that "I'm in a hurry to get things done...Oh, I rush and rush 'til life's no fun. All I really gotta do is live and die, but I'm in a hurry and don't know why." I guess I'm exhorting you to be "All In" for the Lord but not to run yourself into the ground when fellow Christians want you to so that you're "All In" like Robert Murray McCheyne was when he said, "I've killed the horse and now the message can't get through"...meaning he worked himself to death in Christian workaholic fashion.
Got relaxation?

No comments: