Wednesday, November 16, 2011

4:22, #613: Eccentricities

Last night I came up with a new Bobism on the way back from dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. I forget the exact context, but what I said was, "Accentuate your eccentricities...there are enough boring people around!!"

Yesterday I turned 60 years old and some folks made my day by surprising me with a lunch down at our Carriage House here at Camp Cornelius...thanks to the organizational genius of my best friend who likes to remain internet anonymous; which is really not the case, since many of you already know who it is.

In any event, thanks to the fact that I do accentuate my eccentricities...I simply say, "I love being me"...it's fairly easy to buy me presents. The photo shows:
1. The newest edition to my knife collection...all of which get used for practical work in my life like cutting electric tape/scraping carrots/cutting up cigar butts for fertilizer/lowering my blood pressure as I bleed out from cutting my finger while shaving cigar butts...that's how I 'broke it in' already
2. Some good ceegahs that will let me 'practice aroma therapy' at various times while working outside and/or relaxing around the campus
3. A biography of Stonewall Jackson to feed my hunger for most things Civil War
4. A coffee cup that appropriately proclaims that I am now officially older than dirt!!

Some things that didn't make the photo due to my accelerating ability to forget what the heck I'm doing were a tee shirt that read "Sexton: 60" in football style, a coffee table style Harper's Pictorial History of the Civil War, and 5 books our gracious Librarian let me pick from a pile in his office in the midst of actually talking to him about work items; 3 novels, 2 on WWII.

So...the conclusion? Let folks see what kind of interest-oriented member of God's 'peculiar people' you are...it has practical benefits at birthdays and Christmas!! Oh, yeah, as The Carpenter once said, "Give and it will be given to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together, poured into your lap"...just watch out for that last part if you're a knife collector!! ;0P
Got eccentricities?

No comments: