Saturday, December 10, 2011

4:23, #614 To Fart or Not To Fart...

that is the question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune cookie eating or to take arms against a seafood of troubles and by opposing expel them!! (Apologies to young, suicidal Hamlet and Willie Shakespeare)

In case you haven't noticed, men and women consider the expulsion of personal methane stores in different ways; which I contend is one of the reasons men are generally more easy going than their non-flatulent counterparts! Why do I pass this Self Indulgent B. S. along to you? Well the other day I gave a Bobonic (no, not bubonic) Birthday Blessing: "May you age like fine wine! Just be careful how you cut the cheese!" She 'liked' it and this morning around 4:30am I got to thinking about the various ways we express how we 'express' ourselves...or not...

Just exactly how does 'to cut the cheese' equal 'to flatulate?' The only semi-scientific connection I can make here is that the smell of some cheeses is roughly akin to a sulfur dioxide explosion that is the result of last night's beer and raw oyster, perhaps wine and cheese tasting, dinner. Come to think of it, over the years I've noticed that a smelly bathroom recently unoccupied usually has the aroma of what the former occupant had for a previous meal. Being able to identify said aromas/foodstuffs is not exactly akin to the nasality of wine tasting, but it just comes as a side benefit of working in the plumbing/maintenance trades, I guess.

Now, 'to pass gas' is MUCH more accurate, given that expulsing methane is the actual act under contemplation. Oh, and yes, it DOES burn when guys like my Muhlenberg dorm mates next door tested the science of it as an ad hoc Natural Science majors' field test!! ;p FYI...their triple was known as The Cave to many of us living on the same dorm floor freshman year in 1969.

Now, since I've turned 60, I'm officially not only Older Than Dirt as my new coffee mug avers, but I am also an Old Fart. I don't ever remember being a Young Fart...that phrase makes me think of a Jungian Fart; which, given the absurdity of that particularly psychology, is a good analogy. Oh, and I think Freud misspelled his name...should have been Fraud...but that's just this Old Fart's opinion. I wonder if Pope Whoever pontificated officially on this topic it would still be called a Papal Bull? Somebody didn't think through the naming of that particular action.

Well, I'm getting 'windy' in this post...pun obvious...so I'll pass on to the next bit of today's wonderment, leaving you with this...
Got gas?

No comments: