Sunday, January 8, 2012

5:17, #634: Modern Hieroglyphics

I was standing in the checkout of a Staples store yesterday and spotted a 3 x 5 spiral notebook entitled Dictionary of Text Messages...or something like that. I immediately thought about the French guy's line in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' where he said he could drop a $10 watch in the sand and in a thousand years it would be invaluable. Then I thought, all these texting as well as license plate abbreviations are the 21st century's hieroglyphics that some future archeologists are going to spend lifetimes interpreting...lol!! ;p

I mean, think about it, somewhere around 3213A.D....or it may be 1201 in the calendar, presuming that the movie we watched at The Havens last night for the seventh time, '2012' is correct and they reset the clock...some guy will pick up a cell phone from some 'dig' in Wisconsin (which will have become the South Pole, remember) and declare, much as Archimedes supposedly did, "EUREKA!!"

My source, since I've only ever received/sent 3...yes, that is 3...text messages since I've had a cell phone...about 5-6 years...for the following entries that will be found in this hypothetically discovered artifact come from [http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php].

The first I've searched, being that hypothesized archeologist: BS Big Smile -or- Bull Sh** -or- Brain Strain...Unless this blog somehow remains in the Internet Archives (there might be a Conspiracy Theory wrapped around that thought)...my personal application will be missed...so sad! ;p

Oh, BTW...there are 2009 texts listed on that lingo page! Holey Moley, Batman!! (HMB is not currently listed, so make that 2010!)

I noticed the ones at the beginning of the list are numbers...reminding me of the days when we passed around things like that in the late 50s, early 60s: 379 was, I think, "You're talking to someone who apparently cares!"

I think another entry should be DWYWYWA...Do What You Want, You Will Anyway! It certainly would make counseling a friend easier than a whole lotta thumb twitching that goes on now...actually, I'd put it on speed text, if there was such a thing.

Well, B4 UR 2 GR8 2 care...

..../._/_ _./_..

No comments: