Wednesday, November 4, 2009

2:182, #486: Pray Harder

WHY? Do you think your original request was not heard? Do you think your Heavenly Father who tells you to 'rush into His throne room of grace' isn't awake? Somehow I feel like Elijah telling the Baal prophets on Mount Carmel to 'shout louder' so their god can hear them when I think about this phrase that I've read so often in Christian literature and mission letters.

Hey, if you're being obedient and not willfully sinning, ask, seek, and knock and your prayer will be answered...not necessarily in your time, but perfectly in God's. Oh, yeah...if you're praying for something for sinfully selfish reasons...to consume it in your lust, to use James' words...forget it. You might as well stick you head down a well and shout your request for all the good it will do you.

Well, I'm done ranting. Maybe I'll go metaphysically arm wrestle with my Father who loves me as much as He loves His Son. (cf. John 15:9) Judy Collins is singing "Amazing Grace" on my computer, so I'll be pleasanter for the rest of the day. Y'all come back now, y'hear!
Got prayers?

No comments: