Friday, November 13, 2009

2:183, #487: My Day Upcoming

Well, here it is, Friday the 13th and there's light rain so I'm inside and taking some vacation time. As I often do, I've looked up Any Day In History [http://www.scopesys.com/anyday/] to see what was cooking today 'back in the day' and moved two days forward for today's post, as well as for some note in my copy of One Year Book of Christian History. So here's what was what on November 15th at various times in history:
Interesting, at least to me, births for this date:
1708, William Pitt the Elder, who guided England to victory in Queen Anne's War, known on this continent as The French and Indian War.
1891 Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox of WWII fame...who kicked Allied butt until Patton 'read his book,' if you believe the movie.

Now, as for what happened:
In 1492, after sailing the ocean blue, Chris Columbus first recorded tobacco use...and the Surgeon General had nothing to say at the time! Wonder if Old Chris was a cigar smoker after that?
In 1806 Old Zebulon (why'd his parents name him that?) sighted what became Pike's Peak... guess you could say that Pike peeked at Pike's Peak?
In 1861, during The War of Southern Aggression, the United States Christian Commission organized with the specific intent to evangelize Union soldiers.
In 1862, great grandpappy Jacob Antes began his march from Philadelphia to Fredericksburg so that I could get post traumatic stress syndrome while 'in his loins' from being shelled by Stonewall Jackson's artillery.
In 1864, Uncle Billy Sherman put the torch to Atlanta...I guess the Braves' games were 'called on account of smoke?'
In 1951, I shuffled on to this mortal coil, forcibly ejected from a pleasant environment, but not needing my butt slapped to make me cry, since I was yelling from the get go, according to Mom's reports when she waxed eloquent on the subject.

Well, enough of this...Happy Friday the 13th!
Got stupid-stitions?

No comments: