Friday, December 10, 2010

3:96, #590: Inception's Dreaming

Last night, we of the Grey Havens watched "Inception," the movie that's supposed to be so FABULOUS, according to critics. Well, my rule of thumb has been 'if the critics love it, I won't and if the critics hate it, I'll watch it a coupla dozen times!!' Thumbs down on this one, Gang! Here's the scoop that will spoil it for you if you haven't seen it yet and are planning so to do:

The keys are 1.) the dradle is still spinning when the movie goes black at the end, 2.) the scene where Leo D. says, 'We did grow old together' and you see two gnarly hands holding, & 3.) Ariadne was the girl in X-men who could run through walls. Let me explain...

The dradle is the token that's supposedly the way Leo is supposed to know if he's dreaming or awake. If it stops spinning, he's awake, if not, he's dreaming. At the end of the movie, even though there's a moment's hesitation, it is still spinning when they go black...IT WAS ALL A DREAM!! ;P

In the midst of all the multi-level dreaming and actually pretty decent action scenes, near the end when he is talking to his dead wife at level 4 of the dream world, he tells her they did grow old together as he promised when they married. That tipped me off to the fact that the whole movie is an old man's dream about the life he never lived, his guilt for perhaps letting the old girl commit suicide and/or his euthanasia based help he gave her, and that this was the way he was dealing with the death of his life long partner.

Not only was Ariadne the girl who could run through walls in 'X-men,' which I guess prepared her to run through various levels of dreaming, but Mal was Johnny Depp's moll in 'Public Enemies,' and Arthur was the Cobra scienterific geek in 'G.I.Joe.'...not that those pieces make any difference in the plot of the movie.

Bottom line: Old guy can't handle the death of his wife...CHICK FLICK!
Got Isaiah 46:4, "Even to your old age, I shall be the same, And even to your graying years I shall bear you! I have done it, and I shall carry you; And I shall bear you, and I shall deliver you?"

No comments: