Tuesday, November 18, 2008

#282: REALLY Recession Proof Jobs

Well, I was just looking up the weather on Yahoo to see if we might get our first measurable snow today and came across a sidebar in the politics section about "Recession Proof" jobs...education, accounting/auditing, health care, I.T., and security. It seems to me they've left off a few in the "death care" category...mortician (for those who care to be The Boss) and cemetery worker (the trade in which I engaged during my college summers in the early 70's).

In fact, when I was doing some research on The Black Death a few years ago as a follow up book to God Caused the Civil War, I came across a quote (can't find it now, Danggit!) that said the plague came to London, started at Westminster, and there were not enough sextons to bury the dead...guess the family had job security then, Eh?!! I just located a quote from a site that gives the Historical Sources of Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year that mentions the same thing.

I also came across a book review, The Great Plague by A. Lloyd Moote and Dorothy C. Moote. Think what they had to say were Moote Points?

One last thought...howcome pictures of The Grim Reaper appear that he's smiling with that classic Death's Head Grin? Think he knows something we don't? Oh, yeah...if he's the grim reaper, why's he got a grin? Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him, Horatio!!
Got ring around the rosie?

No comments: