Monday, September 7, 2009

2:165, #469: God Was a Sexton

Here it is Labor Day in America when most everyone is not laboring...at least for their employers. I wonder just what per cent of the work force still is doing its job? Anyway, yesterday I finished reading Deuteronomy and realized that God was a Sexton. Yepper...Deuteronomy 34:5-6 says, "So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day." Good old Dictionary.com includes as the definition of sexton (I supplied the capital for obvious connections) as "an official of a church charged with taking care of the edifice and its contents...and sometimes with burying the dead."

So, in one of His pre-Incarnate theophanies, the Lord took up His shovel, dug a hole, and put Ole Moses "in the cold, cold groun..." (I'm listening to the Irish part of "Mansions of the Lord"...now it's "How Can I Keep From Singing?") I guess it makes sense that my past history includes working at Northwood Cemetery, current at Westminster Seminary, and the apparent history of the English side of my family is that it goes back to the days of the Black Death when it's said that "it came to London, started at Westminster, and there were not enough sextons to bury the bodies" in some website I can no longer find. Well here at Westminster Seminary, I've gotten to bury some dead birds and a couple of ground hogs Old Hudson Hawk kacked...and I don't tell people where they're buried, either!!
Got shovel?

No comments: