Tuesday, November 2, 2010

3:85, #579: John Bell Hood Apology

Well, as a distant relative of the noted Confederate General told me by email back on September 23... didn't get to respond to him until today because I completely FORGOT I had a gmail account...it was not KNOWN that John Bell Hood used laudanum, as I mistakenly stated in my post 3:74, #568: Chickamauga. In fact, based on the Blue & Gray Magazine article of 1998 by Steve Davis that I've now seen, the statements of many historians and 'sources' regarding Hood's laudanum use are merely conjectures. Apparently nobody every actually saw General Hood dosing with the opiate.
SO...I APOLIGIZE for being the unwary repeater of just one more unsubstantiated Civil War rumor. I would also like to say that General Hood, like many other Civil War participants North and South, showed great fortitude in dealing with extremely difficult circumstances, both during the conflict and for the rest of his life as a result of being in the War. Given the fact that he was an Evangelical Christian..."During the War Generals Ewell, Pender, Hood...professed faith in Christ"(1)... somehow all the circumstances he encountered "worked together for his good" as Romans 8:28 declares.
And now, I can declare to anyone reading this article that General John Bell Hood is rejoicing in the presence of the Lord as are all the saints of all the ages who have professed faith in Jesus!! I'm actually looking forward to 'crossing the river to rest under the shade of the trees' so I can, hopefully, talk with guys like General Hood in between courses of the Marriage Feast of the Lamb!!
Got an 'amen'?!!

Source: J. William Jones, Christ In the Camp, Sprinkle Publications, Harrisonburg, Va., 1986, pg. 42.

No comments: