Friday, October 24, 2008

#268: Friday Miscellany: Computer Canary

I've just spent the last 40 minutes messing with my computer so I can actually do some work here at Camp Cornelius. Lucky me...Windows installed some upgrade last night and Adobe Reader got me to upgrade this morning. The result: a computer that moves slower than I do in the morning when my aching old bones finally get moving! ;p I'm convinced that if God had designed humans the way we've designed computers, He'd have to kill us off and resurrect us innumerable times during the 70-80 years' average life we're given according to Scripture. Hmmm...that may or may not be an argument for or against reincarnation...or power naps!!

If I was a Geek of the First Order, I'd come up with software that would picture a dead canary on the computer screen to let the user know something is definitely wrong down here in the coal mines...for you non-historical types, that's how miners detected poisonous gases in the good old days. As long as the canary was alive they could stay in the mine...if it died, they knew carbon monoxide or other poisonous gases precluded their immediate removal...kinda like the opening of "Reign of Fire" with a bit less panache!

I've been taking the "Firefly" trivia quiz that never ends and have reached "Guru" status (that means 2,000 correct answers), so I'm thinking I need to find a used sitar on E-bay and learn a new skill...I could even play along with my "Feng Shui" album that's currently got me mentally medicated here in the bowels of The Big House (also known as the basement of Stonewalled Charismatic Presbyterian Church).

Oh, I'm sure you've heard this multiple times, but does anyone agree that the term "World Series" for a sport that is played in America and Japan (and the Japanese don't even get to try to get to The Series) is a BIT PRETENTIOUS?!! I just Googled "World Series origin" and learned WHY it's called that at http://www.roadsidephotos.com/baseball/name.htm..."more grandiose" is actually in the article!! ;p Dictionary.com makes me think the two words are closely related and I particularly like definition #4 for "grandiose": "Psychiatry. having an exaggerated belief in one's importance, sometimes reaching delusional proportions, and occurring as a common symptom of mental illnesses, as manic disorder." In any event: GO PHILLIES!!

Speaking of Feng Shui...which I haven't for several posts...the picture above shows the Grey Havens with the Lord's idea of how to alter the Feng Shui surrounding us in His own inimitable fashion. The camera work falls short of the real McCoy, but that's not surprising, considering I'm only made in His image, so I'm part of that "already, not yet" theology that's bandied about in the Hallowed Halls of Camp Cornelius!

HMMM...this time of year, should that be Hallow-eened Halls? Or does that pander too much to the pagans we're trying to get to see The Light of the World?

Can you tell I'm taking some Off Time? Have a good Week-end...or Next Week Start, depending on your world-view. Ah, "Lord of the Rings Music" makes me feel Hobbit-like in a post-Reformational Zen Buddhist sort of way...
Ta!

No comments: