Saturday, July 4, 2009

2:142, #446: Independence Day

Happy Fourth of July, you Americans! Too Bad, you Brits!! Christian King George III bungled a big one "back in the day" before his documented "madness" with what appears to be the disease porphyria...rent the movie, "The Madness of King George" starring Nigel Hawthorne and Helen Mirren for an entertaining look at history!

Speaking of movies, my Fourth Faves happen to be, not necessarily in order of preference...

"The Patriot" starring Mel Gibson for some great battle action, decent history, and a real tear jerking scene when his little girl finally talks to Benjamin Martin.
"Independence Day" for some sci-fi action, offbeat humor, and a saving the planet so we can become a Global Village theme.
"1776" gives us delightful music, a slightly twisted, though essentially true view of how we got to be a new nation, and some politically incorrect humor to spice up the view.
"Gettysburg" would, of course be on the list, since July 4 was the day that Bobby Lee et al retreated from their ignominious defeat in South Central Pennsylvania while at the same time Vicksburg was captured by the Union in the Western Theater, guarenteeing Union success in the next few years.
"Ken Burns' Civil War" is an excellent documentary which includes information on the Key to the Mississippi...Vicksburg; which, by the way, was named after Baptist missionary Newett Vick!!

So, when folks ask me if I have any plans for The Fourth, I reply, "Nothing planned, but a lot of cool movies to watch if I feel like it." Of course, messing around in my office blogging and commenting on Facebook have already become part of the non-agenda, so maybe I'll go type some more of Journal #3 into my computer to commemmorate my personal Independence Day, August 17, 1980 when the Lord opened the eyes of my heart and broke the shackles of my soul!!
Got weenies to roast on a REALLY long stick over the fires of Hell for the Marriage Feast of the Lamb?!!

No comments: