Thursday, May 13, 2010

3:44, #538: Blood, Sweat & Tears

Today in History tells me that good old Winnie Churchill gave his famous speech, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat" on taking up the role of Prime Minister of England on this day in 1940. He was, of course, telling the Brits what to expect in the upcoming years known as World War II and was rather accurate in his predictive skills.

I just looked on Wikipedia for a public domain pic and, lo and behold...Winnie got the phrase from Teddy Roosevelt's speech in his address to the Naval War College in 1897 which I'm pretty certain is shown in the beginning of the film, "Rough Riders," one of my favorites and excellently portrayed by Tom Berenger. Annnnd, if I'm not mistaken, Old Teddy was also one of those Born Again Christian Presidents that God put in place 'for just such a time' as occurred. Several others I'd name are Washington, Lincoln (converted the day of the Gettysburg Address), McKinley (who sent Teddy to Cuba to charge up San Juan Hill), Garfield, Wilson, Carter, and Bush. And why do I point this out?

I've been percolating an idea that the Lord put Christians in power to direct historical events leading up to the Persecution of the American Church much as He put Joseph in the #2 slot in Egypt to set up the machinery of government and relief from seven famine years that eventually led to the persecution of the Hebrews and the Exodus. Who knows? Maybe I've got another book in me yet?

No comments: