Sunday, May 23, 2010

3:47, #541: Legion


Yessirree, Bob, I watched "Legion" last night and now I've got a few things to say. First of all, it wasn't all that great as a movie, even though Gabriel and Michael (angels in the legion) were played by decent actors: Kevin Durand and Paul Bettany, respectively. I hung on until the end to find out whether the 'legion' was going to be the one mentioned in the Garden of Gethsemane that Jesus could have called down to His aid or the one He cast out of the Gerasene demoniac to become pig farmers of sorts.

Well, it turns out it was a bit of both. The legion of possessed individuals who could be killed with lots of real bullets...I was sitting there thinking of 'Shawn of the Dead,' perhaps one of the worst zombie movies I've ever seen...but they were supposed to be angels doing God's will to destroy mankind; especially the illegitimate baby of the Paradise Falls (nice town name!) waitress who apparently got impregnated by a state cop, based on her reaction to the dramatic appearance of Michael-the-former-archangel in a stolen cop car. Are you getting this convoluted theology?!! If I was a swearing man...which I am on occasion...I would utter an imprecation or two at this point, but I won't.

Anyway, Gabe shows up with some cool sound effects to herald his entrance to start kicking Mikey's butt around to the point of actually killing him; which, of course flies like an evil angel in the face of all reality!! Well, I won't give away the ending in case some of you might want to actually watch this but it does have a Gandalfian-twist to it! Oh, and the interesting tattoos on Mikey are supposedly Enochian...angel language given to a couple of guys in the 16th century by angels themselves...supposedly so we could talk to them. Ummm...in the New Testament, they spoke the same language as the recipients of the news!!! DUH...they're angels, after all!!

Anyway, the good thing I see is that Gabriel and Michael are not depicted as the effeminate things artists down through the ages have depicted, but are warrior-looking but oddly dressed in black with black wings...not everything white as I would suspect HOLY angels would be...no racial profiling intended, I assure you. Oh, the other good thing suits my mood here of late. The question arises both at the beginning and end of the movie, "Why is God so angry with His children?" The answer? "I guess because He's tired of all the bulls...t!"
I wonder if John on Patmos felt the same when he wrote, "Come, Lord Jesus?!!"

No comments: