Sunday, May 30, 2010

3:49, #543: Revival Praying

Sometime in the last week or two I got an email asking me to pray for revival for America based on 2 Chronicles 7:14 and was wondering if the advocates realized that the first half of the sentence, vs. 13, defines God's actions prior to the whole prayer deal? Here's the whole verse: "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

In the New King James the word is 'when,' not 'if.' In either case, there appears to my way of thinking a causative aspect to the whole deal that requires God to trash the nation with drought, crop failures due to bugs, and some sort of epidemic to build a fire under 'His people'...that would be the Born Agains in our day...to realize they're responsible for the degraded condition of this nation so that they ask Him to do what needs to be done to change things for the better.

Over the last 30 years since I got saved, I've noticed that the praying part is a big deal with folks, but the 'turning from their wicked ways' is not. I guess spiritual Band aids don't work too well in God's frame of reference.
Got surgical tools sharpened?

No comments: