Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3:27, #521: Things Vinnie Gone Wrong

Ok, here I am all set to wax eloquent on Vinnie Van Gogh on his birthday due to the fact that Any Day in History has him listed as born on March 3, 1853 when in actuality he was born on March 30, 1853...I just checked, he's also listed on the 30th with a quip that he was an 'artist who always lent an ear.' Well, in any event, I actually like some of his more famous paintings. It turns out his dissipation with prostitutes didn't help his already shaky mental condition inherited from his family, so cutting off the lobe of his left ear sort of makes sense, I guess. I wonder if he was known as "My Cousin Vinnie" by any of his relatives. I don't think Joe Pesci would have been willing to sacrifice an earlobe for the role, but I guess Hollywood make up would do the trick these days.

If you have not seen the movie, "My Cousin Vinnie" starring Joe Pesci as a New Yawk Lawyer wannabe, and you don't mind some rough language, it's really quite funny. Try to imagine Vinnie in a Southern town with Fred "Herman Munster" Gwynn as the judge who has No idea what 'yoots' might be in New Yawkese. Well, turns out Vinnie is talking about 'youths' and there is a happy ending to the whole shebang.

Since today is the day when Abraham 'Vinnie' Lincoln signed "An Act for enrolling and calling out the National Forces, and for other purposes' let's all give a big Civil War "HUZZAH!!" for the first Draft Act...which was one year later than that issued by the Confederate States of America who were fighting for States' Rights but realized a strong central government was necessary to fight a war!! WHAT...you didn't know Honest Abe's middle name was Vinnie?
Got twisted history? I DO!!

No comments: