Wednesday, March 24, 2010

3:30, #524: Queen Bess Goes Home

Today, back in 1603, Queen Elizabeth I 'crossed over the river to rest under the shade of the trees,' as Stonewall Jackson would have said in his day, to occupy her room in Heaven's Mansion. As a result, King James VI of Scotland became King James I of England and ended up promoting the King James Bible project that is now a part of history.

Good Queen Bess is one of my favorite historical characters, not only as a fellow Christian, but as one of the more colorful personalities I've observed down through the ages. There are tons of books on her life, so I'll leave you to sort through them if you want to read about her, but I'll definitely recommend "Elizabeth R" as a GREAT series to watch as Kate Jackson stars as Elizabeth. Just to substantiate that I know whereof I speak, I've watched the series nine times and feel qualified to pass judgment on it. Oh, and if you want to read what Bess herself wrote, I highly recommend
Elizabeth I: Collected Works by Elizabeth I, Leah S. Marcus, Janel Mueller, and Mary Beth Rose (Paperback - May 1, 2002)

Now it's on to other things....

No comments: