Tuesday, December 20, 2011

5:5, #622 Aaron's Blessing

Hanukkah begins at sundown tonight and I want to wish all my Jewish and Gentile Facebook Friends and SIBS readers (including a couple of atheists I know) this from Numbers 6:24-26, "The LORD bless you, and keep you; The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace"...through His already sent Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth!

OK, so now a bunch of you are ticked off at me, but here's a piece of interesting (at least to me) Hebrew reality that I just learned this morning:
When a chanukiyah [the menorah] is full, nine lights will shine from it, lighting up the December nights. Eight of the lights stand in as a sort of counter, symbolizing which night of Chanukah is being celebrated. There is one extra candle lit first every night of Chanukah. This is the shamash, service candle, or in the old translation: the sexton. [http://www.mazornet.com/holidays/chanukah/menorah-shamash.htm]

Well, there it is. This Sexton wants to light your way as a sexton to the Light of the World.
Got a match?

No comments: