Tuesday, June 9, 2009

2:132, #436: Double Minded Planting

If you look at the photo to the left, you'll notice the begonias are actually growing quite well IN the grass, not in a flower bed. Well, at first I thought I'd dig up the old "grass" section that was primarily weeds, plant new grass seed to spruce the place up a bit, and as a result I went through the normal grass seed spreading, light soil covering routine I've used for years.

THEN, I decided to turn the whole area into a flower bed, so I turned over the dirt shovel head depth to intentionally prevent the grass seed from growing and planted all the lovely little coleus and begonias that are doing so well. Silly me...the grass seed took hold better than I think I've ever had it do in all my years of seeding!! ;p Sooo...now I take hand shears every so often and clip the "perfect" patch of lawn I have out of the roughly 12 acres of "lawn" that needs to be mowed!! This is reminiscent of my days growing up in Philly when I had an even smaller lawn to clip just the same way.

What's my point? Well, James talks about not being double minded when we pray or we'll just mess up the results or get NO for an answer. I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do with the greenery, so now I'm doing a sort of penance by hand clipping the section of lawn for this year...plans for next are somewhat different, to say the least. The good news is that with the wet and cool weather we're having...global warming, my Great Aunt Lizzie's hairbun!!...both the grass and flowers are doing well so I'll smoke a stogie while I clip the green and enjoy the colorful flowers the Lord is giving me in spite of my not knowing my right hand from my left sometimes...learning to be content in whatever circumstances I'm in these days.
Got anecdotes of your own?

No comments: