Thursday, June 25, 2009

2:137, #441 George Armstrong Custer

Today I declared to be Facebook Friends Foulup Day in honor of the fouled up decision George Armstrong Custer made on this date in 1876 at the Little Bighorn River in Montana. As was frequently the case during the Civil War when North and South named the same battles differently... Bull Run/Manassas, Antietam/Sharpsburg, Murfreesboro/Stone's River...the Native Americans called it Greasy Grass Creek; which seems more appropriate to me since Custer was definitely up the creek atttacking 1) on a Sunday, 2) without proper reconnaisance, and 3) a force at least 2-3 times his strength with excellent weapons and motivation to fight.

Why do I mention this? As I mentioned on FB, go ahead and ignore the signs around you, do what you want...you will anyway. (Archangel's got her fingers up waving for the number of times she's heard me use this phrase.) Christians...of which Custer was one after his conversion at a Presbyterian Church in Michigan during a January, 1865 furlough home...frequently only listen to Psalm 32:8, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you," but often forget verse 9, "Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check, otherwise they will not come near to you."

I figure I'll get less frustrated watching what folks do if I just up and give them my permission, if not outright blessing. Besides, I've been praying Psalm 32: 8,9 for y'all for a while, so I'll watch how the Lord works things out in the days ahead.
If the Holy Spirit is represented by fire...
Got smoke signals?

No comments: