Saturday, April 25, 2009

2:110, #414: Bird Songs and Tenors

Did you ever actually listen to what the birds are "singing?"

This morning one was like the bass singer in choir with one repetition, probably reminding himself of his personal ontology: "Birdie, Birdie, Birdie."
Another one I heard earlier in the week must have been sitting outside the Grey Havens living room looking over our collection of great movies. His/her refrain was "Video, video, video." I kid you not!!
Then, of course, there's Ironhead the Woodpecker...he's obviously the percussion section when he's trying to chow down. By the way, if Darwin was right, just exactly HOW did a soft-billed bird hammer his face against a tree to develop a wood-piercing drill beak and how was it genetically passed on down through the generations?!!
My favorite here at Camp Cornelius is Boo Radley, my Mockingbird (if you don't recognize the reference yet, check out To Kill A Mockingbird). He's a lot like tenors...just can't seem to make up his mind what he wants to sing, so he'll take over everybody's lines as it suits his mood.

Speaking of tenors, I'm eternally indebted to two: dear old Dad who contributed to half of my DNA chain in 1951 and The Kapellmeister, who was instrumental (notice how I got music and giving into this sermonette?!) in my coming to faith back in 1980...not surprisingly, the "Maverick" version of "Amazing Grace" just came up on my computer speakers, so I'm closin' and rockin'!!!
Got Ten Thousand Years of Praise?!!

No comments: