Wednesday, April 8, 2009

2:99, #403: "I'm a priest, not a saint!"

This was Richard Harris's line as Abbe Faria to explain some piece of sinful behavior, I forget what, in the 2002 version of "The Count of Monte Cristo" that I watched last night for the first time. James Caviezel's character, Edmond Dantes, alters it a bit at the end when he kills his arch enemy in a sword fight when asked snidely by Guy Pearce as Mondego...also Ed Exley in "L.A. Confidential," "But what about your mercy?" Dantes replies, "I'm a count, not a saint."

Well, I'm a priest AND a saint...so are you if you're a Christian...no hubris...it's just that simple (as I frequently tell Archangel and Elfson.) Hey, when 1Peter 2:9 says "you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light," Pete and the Holy Spirit aren't messing around.

Likewise, when Paul writes "to the saints" in Rome, Corinth (twice), Ephesus, Philippi, and Colossae, he knew about that which he spoke in that positional situation we find ourselves as 21st century saints in Christ. OK, OK...I know about sanctification, too, and how we lack it.
Guess, "I'm a redneck, not a saint" would be my buzz phrase to explain away my oft-times not-so-Christlike behavior.
Got 1 John 1:9 coverage?!!

No comments: