Wednesday, April 1, 2009

2:93, #397: April First Facts or Happy Liar's Day


Last year's post, "April Fools and Bubble Wrap" didn't even touch on a lot of the reality of this day that might be called International Liar's Day...you know, the day when it's ok to ignore Proverbs 6:18-19, "Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows and death, so is the man who deceives his neighbor, and says, 'Was I not joking?'"

Every year at this time I celebrate a distinguished, if unheralded (gee, now I guess it's heralded!), event of 1944...Yessiree, Bob...Bill Sexton's marriage to Ginnie Murray and the eventual appearance of their two boys...James the Elder and Robert the Younger... on this planet!! When I asked Mom why they married on April Fool's Day...Dad died in 1958 when I was six, so I didn't get to know him...she said she didn't know. However, she told me...long before her Homegoing in 2006...that he and I shared personality traits to a great extent...so the inherent humor of an April 1 wedding day makes perfect sense to me, given that presupposition...in a Van Tillian, Post Reformational, Zen Buddhist sort of way, of course! ;p

Other events of April First down through history are also interesting. According to The One Year Book of Christian History (tell me you haven't picked up your own copy yet because you're waiting for me to eventually quote every entry!), on April 1, 33 A.D. Jesus remarked to his disciples upon their architectural observation of the Temple that it would be trashed in the not-too-distant future (check out Mark 13 for the story)...guess He wasn't April Fooling anyone, considering the Jerusalem Local Events of 70A.D. when Roman General/Future Emperor Titus trashed the place for the MSN (Masada'S Next) newscast!! FYI...aint that a great 1850 picture by David Roberts of the event that's in public domain!! Gotta love Wikipedia!!

One other interesting bit of history for April 1...it appears to be the publication date in 1952 of the Big Bang Theory of the creation of everything. Might I suggest the "brilliant" scientists might have chosen the date for a reason?!! Maybe the Lord's sense of providence in a coincidental frame of reference worked out that detail as well as that of the trashing of the Temple.
Ya think?!!

No comments: