Wednesday, April 1, 2009

2:94, #398: Dandelion Delight

For those of you who didn't have the experience of a German-descended maternal grandmother living in the Eastern Pennsylvania region who cooked dandelion as a vegetable...you have been passed over for one of the true joys of culinary art and have my sympathies.

Yesterday I was digging hellacious chickweed from around a couple of my Chinese maples and decided, since The Cook said he'd cook it, to gather a large freezer bag of the stuff. Well, last night's sausage, stuffed shells, and bacon-dressing dandelion was a FEAST!!
Then, to make it an even better evening, I smoked half of one of my newly gotten Charles the Great cigars while meticulously cleaning the bulk of the dandelions of dirt, chickweed, and clover in preparation for some more fine eating.

When the next level of growth occurs in the God-given veggie department on my lawns...the yellow heads...I think I'll pull a bunch in order to experiment with the brewing of some dandelion wine. I only ever had some once back in my B.C. days from an uncle-in-law, but OOOOO, BABY was it some fine sipping liquid!! Of course, there is a five-year aging time, but the last 57 went by pretty fast, so I can anticipate the next five rolling along like Ike and Tina Turner's version of "Proud Mary."
Hmmm...what cheese goes with dandelion wine?
Smoked Gouda, of course!

No comments: