Thursday, May 7, 2009

2:118, #422: My Bucket List

Last night I learned about a Bucket List. Just now I learned it comes from the movie, "The Bucket List" about two guys who are terminally ill. They make a list of things they want to do before they die. I could only come up with "see people for whom I've prayed come to faith" and thought that my life-bucket has been well filled already, especially in the 29 years of walking with the Lord.

Wiki had a list from the movie, so let's compare:
1. Witness something truly majestic. Every day I work at Camp Cornelius I see God's handiwork. Then there is the recurring epiphany I get every time I read Isaiah 6 and choke up with emotion.
2. Help a complete stranger for a common good. I frequently MapQuest for lost strangers to get them to where they're going when they drive on campus. Introducing myself to and getting to know students who start out as strangers is just an on-going Ephesians 2:10 lifestyle.
3. Laugh til I cry. Heck, I've done this lots of times throughout my life over really stupid stuff.
4. Drive a Shelby Mustang. Pshaw...how about a '64 Corvair at 90mph with Mom sitting next to me when I was 17?!! And she didn't realize the speed we were going!!
5. Kiss the most beautiful girl in the world. Heck, I hug several of them a coupla times a week!! "THE most beautiful" is a stupid limitation on a topic that has several levels/categories/nuances to it. Just on hair color alone, there are blond, brunette, redhead, gray, salt and pepper, and Miss Clairol.
6. Get a tattoo. Sorry, I'm too cheap and I might change my mind. Although, "Tattoos Are Stupid" might be one I would consider, but then where would I have it put so I could pass along my opinion?
7. Skydiving. Nah, I ride The Sidewinder at Hershey Park and train kungu fu kitties to be archangels!! OOORAH!
8. Visit Stonehenge. Hey, I've got it on my computer Desktop when I feel like it and I'm of the opinion that it was built by the Anakim mentioned in the Bible, so what's the big deal?! Besides, I hate plane flight to get there.
9. Spend a week at the Louvre. Well, I've been to The Philadelphia Art Museum and live with The Painter/Cook/Audiovisualman. Again, plane flight...ycch!
10. See Rome. I watch "Hudson Hawk," "The Italian Job," "Ben Hur," "The Robe," and get homemade pizza, spaghetti, and chicken parm on a regular basis now...why travel?
11. Dinner at Cherie D'Or. I eat at Grey Havens where The Cook reigns supreme in the kitchen. The food's so good it spoils the young'uns from eating similar stuff anywhere else!
12. See the Pyramids. Hmmm...some dead guy's tombs...I used to work in a cemetery during summers while in college and actually got to handle parts of a dead guy in one re-opener of a grave. Alas, it was not poor Yorick!
13. Get back in touch/"hunt the big cat." Well, I live on The Edge, am in touch with who I am, talk with God Almighty daily, and live at the center of the universe where old friends come across my path in providential ways fairly regularly.
14. Visit Taj Mahal, India. Well, in 2003 I sang in a group that visited Chennai, India, fellowshipped with some thousands of saints there, and ate at a 5-star hotel.
15. Hong Kong. Well, here at Camp Cornelius, the best cross cultural mission field on the planet, I've personally interacted with folks from Hong Kong and 53 other nations, so I'm good...besides, need I say "ycch" to the plane flight?
16. Victoria Falls. Though perhaps not as majestic, I remember having to deal with Archangel Falls in the Business Office when an overflowing bath tub on the Third Floor got things enlivened for a while. I think some ladies saw a light in my eyes that rarely flares, too! ;p
17. Serengeti. Wiki calls it an ecosystem. Hmmm...my ecosystem includes bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, ants...crawling and flying, worms, silverfish, centipedes, all kinds of bugs whose names I don't know, mice, squirrels, bats, skunks, raccoons, opossums, ground hogs, rabbits, foxes, deer, cats, sparrows, wrens, cardinals, woodpeckers, mockingbirds, robins, dogs of various breeds, and four distinct season changes, among other stuff. Oh, Yeah...I watch "Madagascar" and "Madagascar 2" when I feel like it.
18. Ride the Great Wall of China. Why? It's not going anywhere.

Soooo...this is just the tip of the iceberg of my exciting bucket of life experiences. I try not to "despise the day of small things" as Zechariah says and walk in the good works laid out before me by One who knows how to work all things to my good. Hmmm...getting preachy might be one of those leaks in my bucket. Time to go get some routine blood work done.
Enjoy your weekend bucket.

No comments: