Friday, May 15, 2009

2:122, #426: Just Some Oddities Noted

Last night I heard a feeble rap on the Grey Havens' back door and was asked to rescue a bird from my squirrel trap. Well, it turns out it was Mrs. Boo Radley the Mockingbird flapping around inside the metal frame. She never even said "thanks" when I released her. I guess she was too busy imitating a squirrel let loose leaving a jet stream trail behind her! ;p

Then there was the City Boy description of some four legged critters inhabiting the place a few weeks ago as "coyote pups." Well, considering that the natural habitat of coyotes is hundreds of miles west of the Eastern seaboard, I decided to investigate. Turns out Momma Brown Fox has at least four cute pups that I saw the other morning at 7am. The inexperienced little goomers actually were going to walk towards me until I told them to get back in their burrow after Mom headed for the woods...they listened to Grampa Alpha Male quite quickly!!
Would you believe that foxes not only eat mice, squirrels, ground hogs, and other pests, but can actually hear earthworms crawling underground near the surface and dig them up for a high protein snack!! I've heard that the early bird gets the worm, but never the Midnight Fox! ;p

Soon I'll be approached to drill holes in buckets to hang tomatoes upside down for some cool growing experience for one of the folks here at Camp Cornelius, so it's time I wrap and roll outta here!!

No comments: