Wednesday, January 9, 2008

#34: Jabez Schmaybez

A coupla years ago Dr. Bruce Wilkinson published a book about the Prayer of Jabez and Christians got all wound up about it. For those of you who missed the prayer, it happened in 1 Chronicles 4:10: "Now Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, 'Oh that Thou wouldst bless me indeed, and enlarge my border, and that Thy hand might be with me, and that Thou wouldst keep me from harm, that it may not pain me!' And God granted him what he requested."
I thought at the time that maybe, instead of praying for 'enlarged borders', Christians should take care of the business directly in front of them in their own backyard. By the way, looking 'out there' without taking care of business at home is one of those schemes of the devil that come at you from behind of which the old Puritans used to speak.
Geez, this sounds like a refutation of Post #33, now doesn't it?!! Well, Judy Collins is singing my favorite version of 'Amazing Grace' right now, so I'm a bit more mellow than before, so I'll explain how I can justify #33 in light of #34.
I was content to have my venue of influence in the lobby of our classroom building. I had toyed for a few months off and on with the idea of blogging and decided that, if I ever decided to blog, I'd use 'Self Indulgent B.S.' as the title for it's multiple meanings, based on my opinion of most every blog I had read, as well as to poke fun at myself. Well, my small venue got shut down by the powers that were...mini persecution of sorts, in my opinion...so I decided to move my thoughts to a place that was outside that authority and still might benefit some folks. Now all I have to do is keep politically correct enough not to offend the Shut Down Powers of I Blog, hunh?!!
Oh, as a side thought of scrolling between these various posts, does it seem ironic to you that scrolls were used thousands of years ago to communicate ideas and now we're constantly 'scrolling down' to read stuff in our super advanced technology?
Hmmm...got papyrus?
Speaking of Jabez, I gotta go clean up leaves outside the stone wall.

No comments: