Tuesday, January 22, 2008

#47: Z'ounds to My Bad

I've been piqued by the degenerative nature of our use of language for the last several years; especially when younger folks give me 'My Bad', 'True That', & 'AWWSOME' as responses to circumstances in my immediate venue that could be said in dozens of other ways.
Well, I must be mellowing these days 'cuz I just don't wince nearly as much anymore. Back in the 'olden days' (as one young blogger called the 50's and 60's in discussing closing shops on Sundays), 'jive', 'cool', 'groovy', and other non-words came from our mouths and were the natural progressions (I'll leave you decide if it was upwards or downwards) from grand-parental hep cats that 'dug' Dizzie Gillespie, 'slipped skin' to shake hands and used other 'way out' terms, so I guess that was Our Bad? It certainly wasn't awesome...true that?!!
Heck, even Shakespeare, the supposed archetype of writers of the English language, shortened up his imprecations and wrote for the less literate in his day. For instance, "Z'ounds" as it showed up in several of his plays was 'By God's Wounds' in slurred English, I guess Cockney or something from the slums of London. It referred to the piercings Jesus endured on the Cross and may have been close to some of our four letter imprecations; which makes me wonder just exactly when and how did they become foul language? And for that matter, WHY?
I guess if Wille Shakes can dumb down the lingo, we can, too.
Oh, while I'm extemporizing, I know a guy who says that "O, Fetch" in Utah is the equivalent in cleaned up fashion of the f-bomb being dropped. Wonder what Utah-ians (or is that Utahnans or Utahites) yell if they want their dogs to retrieve a thrown stick or frizbee when they're out in public? Imagine two young'uns and a dog, one hurls the disc, the dog makes a spectacular miss and the conversation goes, "Fetch, Bowser!" "O, Fetch, he missed!" "Awesome language, DUUUUDE!" "Oops, My Bad!" "True that! Lookit yer WWJD bracelet!!"
Think I'll move to Maine so I can be called a Mainiac. Or can I aspire to the title without picking up stakes and going "On The Road Again"? (Tankewberrymuch, Willie Nelson...and Latka!)
True That?

No comments: