Saturday, January 19, 2008

#44: How Can I Suade You?

A friend I call Boss once dissuaded me from blogging, but has since changed his mind and wants me to 'keep on BS-ing'. Does that mean he's 'suading' me to carry on?!!
Or, if these lines disrupt your day by interfering with your routine, would telling you to get back to work be 'suading you to rupt' your schedule (pronounced shed-yule as in Britain and Canada)?
As you linquists can see, I'm looking at the use of the prefix 'dis,' meaning 'negation or direct opposite.' During the Civil War, would an amputation at the shoulder be truly disarming the guy? And, since losing the arm would be a personal disaster, would the good fortune of surviving the operation be an aster, hence, the reason we take flowers to folks in the hospital?
Now, on a religious note (B-sharp, I think): Would a disciple...follower of a leader...have its posation (what it negates) as a 'ciple'...one who doesn't play Follow the Leader?
Since I am disinclined to acquiesce (thanks, Captain Barbossa) to my inner urges to continue this Thought Train, I'll disembark at this point and suade you to have an enthralling day!!
Got A.D.D.?

No comments: