Saturday, January 12, 2008

#37: Civil War Heroes

There were many heroes throughout the course of the Civil War. I'm only going to mention two who have inspired me to some extent. One was from the North, one from the South. One signed his diaries, one did not sign his poem. Both might encourage us all. I'll simply lift out two quotes from my book to illustrate my point:
"This tale of Christian prisoners continues in the real life journal of Sgt. James H. Dennison, of the 113th Illinois Volunteers from Andersonville Prison. His Civil War story of prison parallels Crusoe’s fictitious condition, a summary of freedom gained akin to Bunyan’s pilgrim, and a statement of how God sustained him. It is also a classic example of Midwestern talent in understated emphasis. “Sunday [June] 19 [1864]...left Clumbus at 4 o’clock..run all day we was on open cars rained all day Andersonvill Military prizen at 4 o’clock a hard place...Thursday [June] 23 this place stinks as bad as a hog pen...Friday 24...I borrowed a new testamint and red in it drawed mush very poor...Thursday July 14, 1864 Camp Sumpter Georgey...I was to preaching this evening for the first time since I came hear...July 26, 1864 Andersonvill Georgey I am siting hear in my littel tent maid out of a blanket thinking of home and them that is thare...cannot tell how much sufrin has ben indured in this camp but god has ben good to me since i came in hear I have not sufered like sum others but then I am deprived of hearing from my famley I have just ben over to the letter box to see if thare was eney thate for me but I was doomed to disapointment a las I got none but I still live in hope that I will get out of hear and be permited to go and see thoes that i so Dearley love Jesus all thay day long is my joy and my song...Saturday [September] 3...I have finished reading the bibel threw..Tuesday [october 4]...I like this place [Savannah] better than the other prison [Andersonville]...February 15 [1865]left this place Florance SC...[on March 13, 1865, he wrote to his wife from the Baltimore hospital to tell her that he was] ‘in the land of the living once more.’(1)"
God caused the Civil War with all its vast destruction and misery, and permanently changed lives in a way that is best summed up, not by one of the great figures of the Civil War, but by an unknown Confederate soldier:

I asked God for strength that I might achieve,
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things,
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy,
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men,
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life,
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for,-- but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself,-- my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.(2)"

Sources:
(1) James H. Dennison, Dennison’s Andersonville Diary. Notes and transcription by Jack Klasey, Kankakee County Historical Society, Kankakee, Illinois, 1987, pp.39-40, 50, 54-5, 65, 73, 97.
(2) Much quoted, source unknown.

No comments: