Friday, February 20, 2009

2:59, #363: You Aint Right, Boy!

This is a phrase that has been applied to me by my plumber on occasion, usually when I make a remark that doesn't jive with his normal way of perceiving things, like when I ask things like:

What ever happened to John the Baptist's head after Herod's wife's daughter got it on a platter? Did she and Mom stuff it and mount it like a deer head over their mantle? Did it have a smile on its face when it got axed? Did it keep prophesying like some spooky ghoul in "Tales From the Crypt?"

If we're supposed to keep alert, just exactly what is a lert? Is it furry, scaly, big, little...what?!! And how do you keep it? In a cage? Tied to a stake out back? In a goldfish bowl? Flying around the room so it can perch on a chandelier?

Then there's the sign, "In case of fire pull alarm." Where's the larm stationed? What's it look like? Is it animal, mineral, vegetable, or fig newton of my imagination and the sign's just messing with my head?

What prompted this ramble? This morning I read about "being of the same mind" as Jesus in Philippians 2, indicating that I should in essence be out of my own mind, as it were. Then I looked it up and noted a few things that really don't jive with our (notice I've pulled you in at this point) natural man/woman mindset:

"If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus..."

Danngit, as Elfson would say...that's good stuff!! Since the orders are clear, I've looked out for your best interests with this word of encouragement. Now I'm gonna look out for mine and have a party day of reading, jigsaw puzzling, writing, and maybe even working at the odd thing here and there on this vacation day!

No comments: