Saturday, February 28, 2009

2:67, #371 Where You From?

Answer that question in your own mind before you go any further...now...

When I was in Amsterdam for a two-week stint of street preaching in 1991 I was "from America."
When I was in Augusta, Georgia visiting my brother in the army I was "from Pennsylvania."
When I'm at Camp Cornelius in my home State, I'm "from Philly"...yes, that's how we native American Philadelphians describe it.
When I'm among Philly folk, I'm "from Olney."
And, lastly, when asked by the Philly-knowledgeable, I'm "from Sixth and Duncannon."

Have you taken note that most of the world's problems are due to tribalism? All of world history is God using one "nation, tribe, or tongue" to subjugate another and through the upheaval introduce the fact that He is the Living and True God to folks to bring His Elect to a saving knowledge of Him...the book of Ezekiel says, "And then they will know that I am the Lord" about 246 times, I believe, both in Israelite and Gentile contexts. Who gets saved and who doesn't is left in His Spirit's Hands in all cases, in any event.

I've even noticed a North/South phenomenon in various places of world history. I get this germ of thinking (would that make it a disease?!!) from my American Civil War gene pool and personal interest. Even though we're coming up on the 150th anniversary of the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression as some say), it's pretty clear that there is a "them/us" view of things among the two sections of the USofA. But...I've learned that folks from Taiwan have a pseudo-Confederate view of Mainland China when they are called "Chinese" by us barbarians who can't comprehend the cultural and historical differences. (I wonder how you say "y'all" in Mandarin?)
And how do I know this fact? My adopted granddaughters have most assuredly straightened out my world life view!!

And for you Anglo/Saxon/Scottish roots types...the South of the British Isles tried to subjugate their Northern neighbors down through history. Old Edward Longshanks even got his shanks kicked at Bannockburn when he unwisely attacked on a Sunday in 1514 and lost the whole nation of Scotland as a result!! (He probably wasn't a fan of thistles, kilts, and haggis anyway.)

In the midst of this ramble, those of you from Earth That Was (Firefly reference #101)...that would be ALL who read this except, perhaps, if angels and demons are looking over my shoulder or read this blog...remember that your citizenship is in Heaven, as Philippians 3:20 says, and that you're actually on a diplomatic mission to Earth That Is as one of the Lord's ambassadors.
Got God's Jeremiah 33:3 phone number to phone home, E.T.?!!

No comments: