Thursday, April 3, 2008

#106: Sweeney Todd Theology

Yesterday the cheese in my computer distracted me from making this post since I was in a whining mood anyway, so today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!! (Actually, "tomorrow" NEVER actually gets here because, once you get to the day, it's "Today" not "Tomorrow"!!)
We of the Grey Havens watched Johnny Depp's "Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" on April Fool's Day and I must say that it was superb. Granted, it was pretty gruesome, but it certainly showed man's total depravity and what vengeance will get you. (For those of you who don't know the story, Google "Sweeney Todd" and learn the story that goes back to the 19th century.)
Anyhow, Sweeney Todd's theology was PAY 'EM BACK!! (He did it with his razor blades, by the way.) God says, on the other hand, "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay!" This is NOT a practice that comes naturally to us Human Beans and Franks (and Anglos and Visigoths and Celts, etc). In fact, an entire continent's world view was based on vengeance back when the First Peoples of America migrated across the Bering Straits when God drove the peoples out of the land of Babel; which might be one of the reasons God Caused European Invasion of the New World (next book title?) against the First Peoples who had practices equal to the Canaanites and Egyptians of the 15th century B.C. who God destroyed because they were "abominations." (Check out the "Don't Do List" of Leviticus 17-28 and you'll see the comparisons, with the addition of scalping which was also done by the Huns over in the Old World!!)
So what's my point? If you're a Christian, you can relax a bit after the initial anger and desire to rip somebody's head off! I even came around to writing a poem (AHHHH...THE POINT) about it "back in the day" of my poetic muse:
"Vengeance is Mine," says the Lord.
"I will repay," says He.
So I can walk away from my foe,
And await Eternity. --10/24/06

Got Leaves of Grass?

No comments: