Thursday, April 10, 2008

#116: Drafted Again!!

I missed out on an all expenses paid trip to Southeast Asia back in 1969 when my draft number was #362 of 365 in a Philadelphia draft board, my brother had enlisted to keep me out of the draft because Mom was a widow, and I went to college.
However, I DID get drafted just after midnight, August 17, 1980 into the Army of the Living Lord. For those of you who've met folks who want to hang on to the idea that they found Jesus or they chose Jesus...#1 He was never lost, and #2 He says in John 15:16, "You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He may give to you."
OK, that's the serious theology for the post.
Now you can read my second draft notice:
"Hey Bob,
I don't know if you've heard but you are signed up for Uncle Bob's Tree Tour for Earth Day! Are you up to it? You can plan what you want for it, but just walk the kids around to your favorite trees and have fun with it! It's officially on Wed. April 23rd from 4-6."
Just imagine, I get to tell the stories of Virgina Beech, Nathaniel the Hawthorne, Stephen Ironwood and Bobbalouie the Lacy Leaf Chinese Red Maple along with references to Richelieu the Cardinal and Ironhead the Redheaded Woodpecker!
Since Earth Day is the 22nd, the same day as Primary Election Day and we're a voting place, we pushed our day back to Wednesday; what I call Unreal Earth Day vs. Real Earth Day on the 22nd.
And, gee, with the temperatures rising since it's April, I guess we can illustrate REAL Global Warming at the same time...God Style!!
Got parables?

No comments: