Friday, April 25, 2008

#127: Allergies

Yes, the photo to the right of these words is of God's Springtime Handiwork here at Camp Cornelius. But as the Post Title indicates, a significant portion of the pollen produced to replicate that beauty is in my sinuses and eyes. 1964 was an interesting year: puberty, Little League baseball championship victory for my team, mononucleosis for the first time from drinking out of a community water bucket, and ALLERGIES began. You ought to see the looks I get when I relate that I've "been doing drugs since 1964" until I get around to mentioning that they are antihistamines like Allegra-D. Well, I am living proof of 2 Corinthians 4:7-8, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body."
One of my favorite profs at seminary said that these "earthen vessels" were "cheap clay pots bought at your local Corinthian K-Mart" in class one day and now that quote resides in my Bible as well as my head.
Reading that part of the verse, "carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus," makes me wonder whether or not one MORE misery Jesus had to put up with on the Cross was sneezing while being crucified. Think about how THAT would feel to wrench His hands and lungs in the midst of all the rest of the suffering!
Got worship?

No comments: