Monday, September 8, 2008

#243: Silviculturist Bonzai

Today's NASB Daily Scripture Verse application on Facebook, Luke 21:29-33, reminded me of a word I learned yesterday. "Then He told them a parable: 'Behold the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near. 'So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near. 'Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place. 'Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."

The word I learned while reading Mr. Adams's Last Crusade by Joseph Wheelan was silviculturist, someone who is involved with planting forests. This describes one of the hobbies of President John Quincy Adams who was also a devout Christian from his youth up. Why do I mention this in conjunction with the term bonzai? Well, just bragging, actually. Back in 1986 I began my silviculturist career here at Camp Cornelius with the Chinese Lacy Leaf Red Maple pictured above on the far left and have added about 100 trees to the campus, 65 or so of which are still growing. Granted, this is not exactly a forest, since they're planted strategically over roughly 17 acres, but hey, this is not exactly an exact blogsite, now is it, sometimes!!

The Bonzai part is adequately covered in my posts regarding the Feng Shui of this place (#160, #161, #177) in which I describe pruning and other things. Martin Luther was once asked what he'd do if he learned it was his last day on earth. He said he'd plant a tree. Guess our Father, the Vinedresser, has passed along part of His Image to us dirt people, hunh? Ya know, it seems there's a passage in Isaiah that talks of His people being a forest of oaks (Isaiah 61:1-3 is the reference, now that I've checked Bible Works and Google)...guess the Lord's the original silvicuturist, both with the trees and with His chosen ones. To quote a picture I've seen, "Bloom where you're planted!"
Got leaves and fruit? (cf. John 15:16)

No comments: