Monday, September 22, 2008

#252: Running On Quicksand

Back in the day of about 1977, Jackson Browne told us he was "Running On Empty." Today I feel like I'm Running on Quicksand. The task: fasten a coin machine to the side of a cabinet. The work: build a support stand for it, get all the tools, replace the broken cord on my drill, do all the work, cleanup, put all my toys away. Three hours of labor...yeah, I know..."do all things as unto the Lord!"

Did you ever feel you're Running Like A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off? Well, back in October of 1999 I decided at the end of one of those kind of days to write down everything I could remember I did and to continue to do likewise each workday thereafter. Well, since then I've accumulated 154,979 tasks here at Camp Cornelius that actually made it to the roster. I'm guessing 1-2% forgetfulness factor is also involved. The reason I mention this is that you might run into similar days in your shuffling around on this mortal coil and you might actually profit from keeping a record, too. I've actually answered a LOT of questions for folks in job-related areas needing memory and the "Find" factor of Microsoft is a handy dandy little tool. (Yes, I actually said something complimentary about my computer!)

Speaking of quicksand...it appears that the Internet has fallen into some; especially the functions on Facebook, so I'm gonna go get some lunch and quit Running On Empty! ;P

No comments: