Monday, March 2, 2009

2:68,#372: Plowing Goes With Jazz

I've noticed something over the course of my life. Back in the day of the 1950s-60s young folks used to walk around with their 5-transistor radios stuck next to their heads to listen to some tunes in the before-f.m. days. Now Ipods proliferate so listeners can try to have some background music to their lives much as movies manipulate their emotions with appropriate background music while the action goes on.

After I graduated college, I was thrown into the Country Western world due to the fact that the foreman of my carpenter crew owned the radio. Being the flexible guy I am, I actually developed a liking for the genre as a replacement for my college-daze rock and roll. Over the course of time I came to realize that CW actually has bio-rhythms that are conducive to construction. Having heard rock and roll while constructing as well as CW, I'm convinced the latter actually makes guys more productive for some reason.

Similarly, I found that snow plowing...which I just did from 4:56 to 7:00am this morning for the first batch of snow...another one's coming even as I type...goes well with "real" jazz, as the station itself defines it; which I suppose differentiates it from "smooth" jazz played on another station in the area. WHYY shifts to classical music at 6am; sometimes as good as jazz, depending on the composer chosen. CW comes in third on this bio-rhythmic riff, but only depending on the type of music played.

If you were to look over the gamut of these posts, you'd see many musical references to what happens to be playing whilst I expound on whatever topic's on my mind. Currently the music of "Lord of the Rings" is giving me the chance to pontificate w/out words in the background getting in the way. It also happens to be my music of choice now that Audiovisual Man and I have watched the Trilogy for the 27th time. As for its bio-rhythmic influence...I think it's got enough chutzpah to keep me going during a get-up-at-four plowing day. Gee, I wonder if I could hook a plow to a nazgul and speed up the process?! Gollum...Gollum!!

No comments: