Wednesday, May 14, 2008

#138: Charley Horse Chestnut

Sadly, one of my favorite trees around here has been literally laid to rest by the Lord's strong winds Sunday night passing across Camp Cornelius in an illustration of Amos 4:7, "And furthermore, I withheld the rain from you while there were still three months until harvest. Then I would send rain on one city and on another city I would not send rain; one part would be rained on, while the part not rained on would dry up." We had the wash/blow dry over the weekend that is the typical pattern in weather that I remember was pointed out by a weather man as a 100% phenomenon he had observed (end of storms always lead to windy conditions). The tree looked quite healthy, actually, unlike his brother Ole Gnarly at another spot on campus, but it looks as if Charley Horse had root rot at the base...another good sermon illustration on the way sin can be of a hidden nature, but eventually brings you down in the providence of the Lord! (Double click the pic and you'll see on the right how the tree looks like a blunt pencil point from the problem underground.)
By the way, if you're wondering why we're having all the screwy weather patterns we are here in the USofA, the above verse pretty much covers the whole deal, too...forget that Mother Nature crap! The question we need to be asking is, "What's the Lord trying to get our attention about by these particular events?" Once again, I think we can blame the deal, not on Global Warming, El Nino/Nina (maybe there should be an El Ninja?) but on Christians who have been praying for revival in the land. 2 Chronicles 7:13-14 says, "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." I've added the italics to emphasize my point; especially that last phrase requiring us as a people to turn from our wicked ways. Notice that there are no promises that conditions will improve if the non-negotiable terms are not included in Christians' behavior!
Well, before I get too preachy I better go get Charley Horse cut up for chipping tomorrow and firewood for Anonymous Man and the Brute Squad next year.
Got chainsaw?

No comments: