Monday, May 19, 2008

#142: Goose Eggs, Bumps, and Flesh

Today I was yankin' weeds from between the retaining wall fence and the guard rail back behind the Library and walloped the old noggin' TWICE in about fifteen seconds. In answer to the question, "How DUMB can I be?" the answer is always, "Give me a number to shoot for...I strive for excellence in everything I do."
Anyway...I understand quite easily why the bump on my bean could be called a "goose egg" based on the way it swelled up. What I wanna know is why when you suddenly get cold and you get the chills, you say you get "goose bumps" or "goose flesh" as a result? Let me guess... some guy "back in the day" of the Middle Ages was sitting there pulling feathers off a goose and noticed bumps on its skin and the epiphany gave him a shiver up his spine, he looked at his arm with the subsequent bumps and said, "Eureka! I have bumpy goose flesh, too!" Go ahead, I dare you to Google it!
Oh yeah, while I'm thinkin' of stupid sayings, why when we hit a certain part of our elbow that sends excruciating pain up the rest of our arm do we say we "hit our funny bone?" There aint NOTHIN' funny about that particular circumstance of life unless it's to the rest of us watchin' some poor guy cringe in pain because we know exactly how it feels and we're deeply sympathetic but rely on some demented defense mechanism that makes us glad it wasn't us and so laugh at the other guy's expense.
Doesn't Proverbs say something about a fool and his elbow are soon parted...or he wishes they were?!! NO? Well, ok...
Got right verse instead?

No comments: