Thursday, May 15, 2008

#139: Ole Gnarly and the Bible

Yesterday I set about cutting up poor fallen Charley Horse Chestnut (a practice endemic to the Christian Army and its spiritually wounded, by the way, that I've abhorred for 28 years) and mentioned Ole Gnarly, my favorite horse chestnut tree at Camp Cornelius. Here's the pic. It's utterly amazing to me that this old fella hasn't fallen over yet...reminds me of me some mornings!
By the way, the "gnarly" has to do with all the old age damage, knobs, and that ever popular etcetera, not some hip hop definition that shows up about being disgusting in most dictionary definitions these days. The damages are war wounds from standing out in the Enemy's territory 24/7, "clapping his hands in praise" as the Bible says ("the leaves of the trees shall clap their hands"...can't remember the reference other than in Psalms), for all these years. If you click on the pic, you'll see better what it looks like.
Well, the Treebeard in me is calling to tend the forest, so I'd better wrap this up. I'm reminded of Psalm 139 today because of the number of this post. Psalm 139:14-16 is my favorite part of the psalm that Ole Gnarly would probably echo if the Elves had gotten to him and taught him to speak, " I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them."
Got BAROARRUMMM?!!

No comments: