Friday, May 23, 2008

#145: View From the Tractor


I've seen some pretty amazing things over the course of 23 years riding the Old John Deere here at Camp Cornelius, so I thought I'd share some of them that I've photographed with my handy-dandy, low-tech camera. The first shows another aspect of how we Go Green without even trying around here. This is a bird's nest in the crotch of a maple tree I transplanted a bunch of years ago when it was more stick-like than tree-like. (Gee, I sound Tolkienesque even to ME sometimes...maybe I'm channeling Treebeard again.) The amazing thing is that El Birdies Construction Company built so low to the ground. I was actually looking down on it from my seat on the Green Machine. Oh, there were no current residents, so I don't know if Hudson Hawk had been there or the young 'un had simply grown up and flew the coop.

The second picture is a true anomaly in Eagles Territory...a Cowboys nest, complete with rubber "egg" in the crotch of a dogwood that's probably older than I am. I'm guessing some Texan Infiltrator that our Admissions Guy let in smuggled the contraband onto campus, left it on the ground, and some tree hugger stuck it in the dogwood so I didn't grind it to rubber mulch with my tractor blades! Actually, I avoided that very thing earlier in my mowing adventures, just so's ya knows!

I know the Bible talks about the leaves of the trees shall clap their hands, but I can't recall it mentioning their crotches, so I'll just leave it at that and go get some life transforming soup at the Grey Havens for lunch!

Got crackers?

No comments: