Friday, June 13, 2008

#162: Friday The 13th Musings


Ok...there are a bunch of folks out there who actually think today's unlucky. The Wikipedia article I just looked at says 17-21 MILLION in the U.S. alone are freaking out even as we speak, so to speak. Paraskavedekatriaphobia...the phrase meaning fear of Friday the 13th...costs $800 to $900 million loss of business in one day here in the good old USofA. I also learned that there is actually a place called Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, N.C. from which these figures emanate. Well, I managed my stress on Wednesday by indulging in a day of Scream Therapy in Pennsylvania's Stress Management Center, a.k.a. HERSHEY PARK!! The pics here are of two of my favorites: Sidewinder, that sends you through a bunch of coils frontwards and then repeats the process backwards and The Wildcat, a wooden coaster that will jar you every which way including loose!! Poor Elfson had a black-out moment on the Sidewinder and it was agreed by the other four Grey Havenites that if we ever return to Hershey, I'll be riding Sidewinder by myself!! (Something tells me this may have been my Last Hurrah there, however, based on my achin' bacon!)

Oh, here's a thought that I'm sure will thrill most of y'all: UNIX time (whatever the heck that is) will reach 1,234,567,890 decimal seconds on Friday, February 13, 2009 at 23:31:30 GMT (that's 11:31:30pm in Greenwich, England)....Good grief, I just clicked on the UNIX time and GMT blue gizmos that take you to another Wiki article and am further convinced that the guys who devised these time schemes and calculated all this crap should be Channeled Masters for Self Indulgent B.S., with emphasis on the last part. Doesn't anybody notice that all this Greenwich Mean Time stuff is Anglo Saxon ethnocentrism?!! Why, the one article even mentioned that the Irish changed from Dublin Mean Time to Greenwich Mean Time in 1916...THE CELTS FINALLY CAVED IN!!!

Well, I say we should all mark down that day in our Daytimers, Pocket Calendars, Ipods, and Whatevers! in order to show up for a party or the end of the world! Oh, and while I think of it, if there's a Mean time, is there a Kind time somewhere on the other side of the planet? Or would that be something on Sesame Street? And why "Sesame Street"? Why not Poppyseed Place? Why not the Rye Bread Republic? How about Bagel Alley? Maybe I should start an advertising agency on this "asspicious day" as one drunk in a bar scene called Unification Day in the "Firefly" series. I'm rambling, I know, but, as Captain Malcolm Reynolds said to River Tam in "Serenity," "It's what I do, Darlin'...it's what I do!!"

Got buildings without a thirteenth floor to open?

No comments: