Tuesday, June 24, 2008

#173: Shrapnel, 24 and Clay Jars

Well, it's official...I now have an even two dozen stitches placed in various parts of my personage over the course of my life. (Post #167 tells of the others.) The last four were added to my left thumb after the nail was sliced off (under Novocaine of some sort) and some aluminum shrapnel or other "foreign material" was removed, and the nail set back on top to protect the flesh as a "biologic dressing," something I never heard of before. I'm reminded of 2 Corinthians 4:7, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves..." These earthen vessels were once described by one of my favorite seminary profs, Dr. G., as "cheap clay pots you bought at your local Corinthian K-mart," a description I thought good enough to be inserted in the margin of my Bible at the time for future references and also for remembrance of Dr. G.

Well, it looks like I've got another crack in my pot, so to speak...wise guy remarks about my being cracked will be accepted and ignored, tankewberrymuch! ;) Since I have to keep the dressing clean until Thursday's follow up visit, I guess I'm going to have to shun my natural qi as a Dirt Person, being made in the image of Adam the original Dirtball, and seek godliness so that the cleanliness can be "next to" it as a corollary ("cleanliness is next to godliness" is the adage). Fortunately, I picked the last of the Grey Havens radishes yesterday and I'm "in between" crops down in The Plateau Garden, so I don't HAVE to mess around in the dirt. Actually, I've got a bunch of compassion and vacation days to use up, so I'll chalk up some time and administrate as I feel "led."
Gotta go.

No comments: