Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2:13, #317: Noby Jo's Railroad Orders

Back in 2000 I started reading through Selwyn Hughes' devotional Every Day Light but set it aside at roughly the half-way mark...don't know why. I picked it up again a couple of days ago to read along with my other usual fare and today read of Mrs. Noby Jo, a Chinese Christian lady who wanted to do something with her life for the Lord and got an interesting assignment.

It seems while praying in the hills, she was irritated that God always "had to have His own way" and asked why. He told her that her way was not wrong, but His way was best. Then He said "You belong to the discouraged and broken people who commit suicide at the bend of the railway track."

She put up a sign "Don't: see Mrs. Noby Jo first. God loves you." Turns out she died at age 92 with 5,000 prevented suicides to her record. The odd thing is that when I Googled her name I came up with a big fat ZIP!! If any of my Chinese/Chinese American granddaughters out there have heard of her, I'd appreciate the info. Oh, any of you Barbarians are welcome to pass on info to me, too, if you know anything. By the way, Selwyn Hughes was Welsh and died January 9, 2006, so I don't know where he heard the story.

Notariety seems to be extremely optional in the Kingdom of God. Walking in the good works prepared for us, as Ephesians 2:10 says, seems NOT to be optional, so stop a moment, ask the Lord "What's Next?" and then get on with it. As another one of my favorite devotional writers, Oswald Chambers, used to say, "Trust God and do the next thing!"
Got ideas?

Source: Hughes, Selwyn & Thomas Kinkade. Every Day Light.Broadman & Holman Publishers, Nashville, TN, 1997, pg. 268.

No comments: