Friday, December 5, 2008

#296: The Wurst of Times

Charles Dickens opened A Tale of Two Cities with "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Last week The Cook blessed my socks off (well, metaphorically, if not physically) and made a portion of my life "the best of times and the wurst of times." For the first time in I can't remember how long, I got some liverwurst for lunch...the meal of choice of Pop Murray, my maternal grandfather for as long as I can remember...oh, and he lived to be one month short of 97!!

Now for the uninitiated who do not have the blessing of a Teutonic family background or a Heidelberg German, self-appointed grandmother-next-door-neighbor: Liverwurst is a sausage made with a large percentage of liver, especially pork liver and meat, according to Dictionary.com. It is best served on rye or pumpernickel bread with a HUGE slice of raw onion and some Gulden's mustard!! Chips on the side and a slice of dill pickle make it the perfect meal, in spite of what the Cholesterol Crowd might warn you and ignoring the fact that it's made up of the Demon Preferred Meat of Mark 5: 10-20. I would also suggest that playing LOUD Celtic music while chowing down would make eating it even more fun, given what's crankin' on my cd player at the moment.

I mentioned my Heidelberg Grandma...Mrs. Finger. Not only did she look out for me and my brother as we were growing up, she regaled me with the joys of bratwurst and knackwurst, too. Once again, Dictionary.com covers the details:
Bratwurst: a sausage made of pork, spices, and herbs, sometimes without a casing, usually served sautéed or broiled.
Knackwurst: a short, thick, highly seasoned sausage.
It didn't matter how it was served up, it was consumed with glee and set my feet on the path of eventual death and destruction of this corpus abundantus I've managed to construct over the years.

So what's my point? The pun's the thing wherein we'll catch the joy of the King!! (Apologies to Willie Shakespeare's Hamlet.) Remember, we're heading towards the Marriage FEAST of the Lamb...look for me in the pizza, kimchee, liverwurst, beer and cigar smokin' section with Harvie Conn, Marty Luther,Charley Spurgeon and the Reformed Roustabouts!!
Got a Yuengling?

No comments: