Thursday, December 4, 2008

#295: Digital vs. Analog

This morning I was up at 1:23am and 4:56am and I'm awaiting 7:89am...which for you non-linear thinkers would be 8:19am this morning...you know, 7:00 + 1 hour + 19 minutes!! ;p In any event, I think there's a digitally magic something or other about various times of the day and night. For instance, 12:34am is a Happy New Year kind of time (or a "Why-did-I-drink-all-that- beer?" time), whereas 12:34pm would be a "Let's-play-Age-of-Wonders-after-a- liverwurst sandwich" kind of time. Obviously, 1:23am and 4:56am are a couple of those Wee Hours we've discussed in a past Post or two...#35 & #152 to be precise (as would be 2:34 and 3:45am). On the other hand, 1:23pm is Siesta Time in some societies or Late Lunch for the Moronic Over-achievers Society who have to work through God's designated lunch hour of noon to one, and 4:56pm is obviously Miller Time Less Four!! Let's see...2:34pm would be Time-For-My-Afternoon-Snack Time and 3:45pm would clearly be Gotta-Wrap-Up-What-I'm-Doing-So-I-Can-Go-Home Time.

And, of course, we can't forget the Diminishing Digitals: 6:54am (Danggit-Gotta-Go-Open-The-Buildings-Time), 6:54pm (It's-Time-To-Choose-A-Movie Time), 5:43am (Well, I Might As Well Get Up Time), 5:43pm (Ahhh...Another Grey Havens Feast Is Done Time), 4:32am (Crap-Now-I'm-Awake-But-It's-Too-Early-To-Get-Up Time), 4:32pm (Time-To-Kill-Computer-Creatures Time), 3:21am (Whatwazzat? Time), 3:21pm (Aint-This-Day-Done-Yet?!! Time), 2:10am and 1:09am (Wee Hours hours), and 2:10pm (Hmmph-More-To-Do Time), and, finally, 1:09pm (Time-To-Get-Back-At-It Time).

Now that I'm thinking about the special magic of Digital Time, will the terms "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" disappear from the language if analog clocks are phased out for an entirely Digital World? Will we have to say "round to the right" and "round to the left" in their place? Oh, and if the electricity goes off in some Armageddon-like scenario, will someone have come up with a digital sun dial by then? I think the new Administration should fund research to the tune of millions of dollars to work on that project.
Got the time?

No comments: