Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2:14, #318: Priority #1 & #2

I'm in the midst of typing my hand written journals of 28 years into my computer and came across something that set my brain in motion again on the toughest topic of the Bible, I think. I wrote, "I pray that You will touch the hearts of each person who was there to draw them to Jesus and to instruct them how to glorify Your Name."

What about those He doesn't draw to Christ? Well, the Westminster Shorter Catechism says that the chief end of man (my emphasis) is "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever." If there is a primary or chief end, there is a secondary one, too. Sadly, it falls under the category of Romans 9:22-24, "What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so in order that He might make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, even us, [my emphasis again] whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles." We Christians get elected to glorify AND enjoy Him. Everybody else gets elected to glorify Him and His infinite power to subdue evil to His judgment.

Aint a pretty thought, but there it is. Share the gospel with your friends and let God sort them out! Grace and peace.

No comments: