Tuesday, December 2, 2008

#294: Cutting Remarks

Last night after a pleasant evening watching "1941" in our on-going something-to-do-with- Christmas fare (also the sixth time we've watched it total), I had some post-chainsawing-a-tree ponderings.
Why do we cut down the tree but cut up the same fallen parts for firewood?
Why is a comedian considered a cut up?
Why when you wound someone verbally is he cut to the quick? Just where, exactly, is the quick?
My Lutheran background reminds me of the quick and the dead when reciting the Apostles' Creed in the older format I learned back in the day, so "quick" must mean living, so are you then cut to the living...or to the live parts?!
Why do we ask to be cut a break when we want forgiveness? Wouldn't we do better to be cut an undamaged bit?
Guess I'd better cut out and go do something else! I think I hear the rest of the dead tree wanting to be cut down and cut up!
Got chainsaw?

No comments: