Monday, December 22, 2008

2:7, #311: Wind Bag

Over the weekend I began reading a book I got from a "free" table in The Lobby last week. It's title is The New Dictionary of Thoughts, published in 1936, so I thought the "new" part of the title was a bit ironic, but picked it up anyway. It's a collection of thousands of quotes from all ages, so it does not need to be read front-to-back or in any other organized fashion; which suits me just fine these days.

One of the first entries I saw was in the "Familiar Phrase" section in the back..."wind bag." The originator was Sophocles, a Greek tragedian who lived from @496-406BC and the phrase showed up in Plato, Theaetetus, 160 according to the reference. I was glad to hear that one of my favorite phrases has been around for two dozen centuries or so.

Now, if cars have signs "equipped with air bags," should those carrying politicians, preachers, and talk show hosts have bumper stickers that read, "Equipped with Wind Bags?"

Can Bloggers technically be called "wind bags" since they're not actually saying anything (yeah, obvious double entendre here), only writing? Would "Type Touters" be appropriate? Maybe "Keyboard B.S.-ers" would fit the best?

I guess since Sophocles wrote 120 or more plays, according to various websites, he knew whereof he wrote?

No comments: